Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Emotional Eating

The hubs is gone out for his last tour on the high seas (er, Delaware River), and I've discovered the perfect food to replace him. I've gone through a heavy rotation of favorite treats, but when my sister was visiting the last time, we had some alfajores. She lived in Argentina for a bit and really wanted to recreate that tasty treat. Unfortunately the alfajores are not so authentic at the MarieBelle Cacao Bar, but since then, I've noticed the Argentinian cookie popping up everywhere around the city.

For those of you who have never heard of an alfajor, it's a sandwich cookie filled with dulce de leche. There can be many different kinds. Here's a visual to get you salivating.



At dinner on Friday night, the hubs and I each enjoyed an alfajor dipped in chocolate. Today at lunch, I found alfajores at an espresso bar two blocks away from the office, these ones with shredded coconut accompanying the dulce de leche inside, and a dusting of powdered sugar on the outside. It's like a whoopie pie, only about ten times better. Note that the dulce de leche ought to be thick and goopy.

Move over, tiny cupcakes, this cookie looks like it's poised to take over this city. Or at least my pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment